EMN Statelessness Platform Progress Report
This progress report describes the activities undertaken and publications released by the EMN Platform on Statelessness, in cooperation with strategic partners, from May 2016 until November 2017.
The EMN Steering Board on 11th May 2016 approved the establishment of the EMN Platform on Statelessness. Since then, activities have been undertaken to provide information in this field, inter alia:
- The EMN with the support of the UNHCR launched two joint ad-hoc queries “Statelessness and minors born in exile” and “Stateless unaccompanied minors” in May 2016. Based on the results of the ad-hoc queries, the EMN drafted an EMN Inform “Statelessness in the EU” in October 2016.
- Several EMN National Contact Points organized national conferences on the topic of statelessness, focusing inter alia on the identification and management of statelessness, on experiences and good practices in tackling statelessness, etc. An EU level conference was also organized in January 2017 in Brussels.
- The EMN participated and presented its publications and findings in external meetings and events, including in the context of the Youth Congress on Statelessness, ENS - European Network on Statelessness’ event, Strategic Committee on Immigration, Frontiers and Asylum, LIBE and PETI Committees of the European Parliament.
The Progress Report highlights future actions from the EMN Statelessness Platform, which will inter alia:
- Continue to provide technical information on statelessness to Member States
- Support the creation of an IT workspace to exchange information on practices in this field
- Cooperate with Unicef regarding stateless unaccompanied minors
- Continue to raise awareness on statelessness through events
More information in the progress report (above).