A tool for better comparability
|The purpose of the European Migration Network Glossary of terms relating to Asylum and Migration is - inter alia - to improve comparability between EU member States through the use and common understanding of the terms and definitions contained therein. The EMN Glossary is intended to serve as a useful reference document for EMN National Contact Points and their National Network members, as well as for other practitioners in the field of asylum and migration.|
Glossary 6.0: an updated version of the EMN Glossary (2018)
Migration and asylum policies at EU and national levels have quickly evolved since the first EMN Glossary was published in January 2010. In order to provide reliable and updated information and to adjust to the latest migration and asylum related developments, the EMN Glossary is regularly updated (both in printed version and/or online).
The sixth updated edition of the EMN Glossary - published in May 2018 - contains :
- A total of 468 terms with 29 new entries since the previous online version 5.0 as well as amendments to existing terms;
- Updated sources and references.
It can be consulted and downloaded here.
Terms are arranged in alphabetical order. For each term, the following information is provided:
- The agreed definition plus the source of the definition
- The translation into Member States' languages
- Additional explicative notes related to the term
- Relation to other terms and concepts included in the Glossary (such as synonym, broader term, narrower term, related term).
See the example below:
Versions in different languages
Whilst the EMN Glossary is developed in English, it has been translated into other languages by some Member States. The EMN Glossary version 2.0 (2012), version 3.0 (2014), or version 5.0 (2016) is available in Finnish, French, Italian, Lithuanian, Portuguese, Spanish and Arabic.