Improving the protection of children in migration
The Commission is today setting out actions to reinforce the protection of all migration children at all stages of the process and to ensure a closer link between the asylum and child protection services.
The European Commisson has released a Communication on the protection of children in migration. The Communication focuses on:
- addressing root causes and strengthening child protection systems along migratory routes and in partner countries
- facilitating swift and comprehensive identification and protection of children, and raising awareness on the issue of missing children
- providing adequate reception in the EU, based on specific needs assessment and appropriate access to healthcare, psycho-social support and education, and avoiding detention of children in migration
- ensuring swift and effective access to status determination procedures and implementation of procedural safeguards
- promoting durable solutions, including resettlement for children in need of international protection
- respecting the best interests of the child, more effective use of data, research, training and funding
The Commission calls for a determined and coordinated follow up of the above-mentioned priorities at EU, national, regional and local levels, also in cooperation with civil society and international organizations.
For more information, please visit the website of the EU Commission.