CGRS publishes asylum statistics for August 2014
Every month, the Office of the Commissioner General for Refugees and Stateless persons (CGRS) publishes a document providing the statistics on asylum applications and first instance decisions.
- In August 2014, 1,580 asylum applications were registered in Belgium. This is an increase with 6% compared to the month before.
- Of those 1,580 asylum applications, 429 (or 27.2% of the total number of applications) were subsequent applications.
- The most important country of origin in August 2014 was Syria with 262 applications (16.6%), followed by Eritrea (9.1%) and Afghanistan (7%).
- In July, the CGRS has taken 1,205 asylum decisions, including decisions on subsequent applications. There were 314 decisions to grant the refugee status and 101 decisions to grant subsidiary protection status.
- At the end of July, the total workload of the CGRS was 5,500 cases. 3,900 cases can be seen as a normal workload. Consequently, the actual backlog is 1,600 cases.
In contradiction to Eurostat statistics, these CGRS-statistics do not include accompanied children.
These statistics can also be consulted on the website of the CGRS, where the statistics of previous months and years are also available.