9-point action plan on the fight against irregular transit migration
On 10 September, the Belgian Minister of Security and the Interior and the State Secretary for Asylum Policy and Migration presented a 9-point action plan on the fight against irregular transit migration.
The plan focuses on the following aspects:
- opening of a national administrative centre in Steenokkerzeel for irregularly staying transit migrants;
- increase of the capacity of the detention centres;
- increase of police controls on certain roads;
- actions to vacate the Maximilian Parc in Brussels;
- strengthening of the fight against smuggling;
- enhanced security of the Port of Zeebrugge;
- enhanced cooperation with the United Kingdom;
- enhanced security of carparks along highways;
- and prevention campaigns in countries of origin.
Further information is available here.