UNHCR Statistical Yearbook 2010, 10th edition
The Yearbook reviews global statistical trends and shifts between January and December 2010, and provides a number of case studies. Findings demonstrate the continued relevance of forced displacement and statelessness issues.
Major statistical developments and findings in 2010 include inter alia:
- Number of refugees at end 2010 amounts to 10,55 million (10,40 in 2009)
- Pakistan, with 1,9 million refugees, hosted the highest number of refugees
- Afghans accounted for 29% of the global refugee population
- 3,5 million were identified as stateless persons in 65 countries
- 21% less than in 2009 repatriated voluntarily to their home country
- 98.800 refugees were resettled by 22 industrialized countries
- 223.000 asylum seekers were recognized as refugees or granted complementary protection
- 1951 Convention refugee status was granted in 30% of decisions
- Children constitue 44% among refugees and people in refugee-like situation
The different sections of the statistical yearbook can be downloaded on the UNHCR website.